Failed validation when trying to get credit report

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum Failed validation when trying to get credit report

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robin

I tried to get my first free credit report at annualcreditreport.com but failed validation. They asked me something about a mortgage, but this doesn’t apply to me because I don’t have a mortgage!

Did someone steal my identity? I don’t know what to do…

Cesar

Re: Failed validation when trying to get credit report

When you try to get your credit report for the first time, the annual credit report service need to validate that you are who you say you are. It’s actually called “Authentication“, not validation.

They authenticate your identity by asking a series of questions, based on the information they have in record about you. Some of these questions are trick questions, so only YOU should be able to answer these questions correctly.

For example, they can ask a question about a mortgage you have, expecting that the answer will be “I don’t have a mortgage” or “no“. Only you know if you have a mortgage or not.

Did you answer all the questions or did you just quit?

You should be concerned ONLY if you answered “no” to the mortgage (and any other debt that you have/don’t have) and then they denied you access.

B.T.W, in case that you are unable to validate your identity online, they allow you to send them a copy of your driver license/pay stub as a proof of identity. Look for appropriate link on the site.

Hope this helps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.