When to pay Collection debt after it’s fallen off my report?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum When to pay Collection debt after it’s fallen off my report?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Calize99
    Participant

A couple of collection debts have fallen off of my credit report. If I go and start to pay them now, can the Collection agency report that debt and my payment(s) back to the Credit Reporting Agencies?

I would like to clear some things up, but not if it’s going to renew that 7 year period and I’m sure negatively effect my score.

Thanks in advance for your attention to my question.

Mason

As so many people do, you are mixing up two different terms.

The seven-year credit report time period for negative information does not start over. Never.

What may start over is the time period in which you may be sued. In other words, whenever you do something regarding your debt – the statute of limitations clock is reset.

So basically, even if the collection agency would report the payment(s), they should not appear on your credit report and should not affect your credit score in any way whatsoever.

Having said that, it’s always a good practice to take extra caution, especially when dealing with debt collectors. So before you contact the collection agency make sure you know how to deal with them.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.