How to remove debts that are past the statute of limitations?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Repair Forum How to remove debts that are past the statute of limitations?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anthony

How do I remove a collection that is past the statute of limitations from my credit report?

Tyree

Simply put – You don’t!
    Statute of limitations has nothing to do with credit reports. The time frame to display debt on credit report is 7 yrs (for most debts) and has nothing to do with the SOL which can be longer or shorter than 7 yrs, depending on the type of debt & state.

There is no (legal) way to remove accurate information from your credit report. All you can do is wait it out to fall off after 7 yrs.

Palmer

What about Pay-For-Delete?
    If the SOL has passed, the collection company cannot legally collect that debt from you anymore. Even if the sue you (which I doubt if they do), all you need is to show up in court and say the debt is time bared. That’s it.

That means that if you offer them to pay something (say 10%-20%) of the debt in return for them to delete the item from your credit report, they would be forced to agree because they know this is the ONLY way they gonna see money from you. A win-win situation.

Seth

What type of debt is it?
    Hold on. What type or debt is it?

Is it something like an unpaid medical/parking ticket/cell phone? Or is it a CC charge off or something like this?

I’m asking because if you go for PFD, remember that the collection company can delete only the collection account. If the collection account is, say, a CC chargeoff than the original chargeoff account cannot be deleted from the credit report because it is reported by the CC Company and not the collection company. There is simply no way to delete a charge off (assuming the information is accurate).

Is such case, a PFD tactic would be a waste of money because the original chargeoff will remain on your credit report and you won’t see any score improve.

See this for more info.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.