Where to file an identity theft police report?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Identity Theft Forum Where to file an identity theft police report?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Doug

I’ve just learned that I’m a victim of identity theft. I live in New York, and the identity theft occurred in Miami.

When I tried to file a police report in NY, the officer refused to take it and said that I need to file the report in the state where the identity theft actually took place.

It sounds so unfair to me. I’ve just been victimized, and instead of getting help I’m expected to take a flight just to file a report?!

Mat

Sad, but true

It’s sad, but the officer is basically correct. You need to file the police report where the crime occurred. This can be a real pain in the ass because in can happen in multiple states. you’re lucky that it only chapped in Miami.

Try to contact the Miami police over the phone and find out what they can do for you without you having to fly there. Don’t get your hopes to high – they really don’t put a high priority on investigation identity theft.

Neal

Entirely incorect

I work in the Illinois D.A. office and we go after out of state people all the time.

It really depends on the state you live in. Jurisdiction usually attaches either where the crime occurred or where the harm occurred. So a person whose number is stolen in New York can have jurisdiction if the credit card is used in Florida.

What I would do is call the local D.A. (Prosecutors office) and inquire with them. They might have special units designed to investigate identity theft. Many State Attorney Generals handle these complaints.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.