How do I discuss credit issues with my spouse?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum How do I discuss credit issues with my spouse?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nicole

I’m relatively educated in credit matters. My spouse however makes makes less then beneficial choices regarding his. For example, he likes to open new accounts to use the instant benefits (such as points, deals, etc.) but then closes them after 60 days or so, explaining how the credit lines are actually helping his score.

Whenever I attempt to approach him in this matter he treats me like I am clueless. It’s very frustrating to hear the not-so good decisions he makes.

Any suggestions about the right method to approach my spouse regarding credit issues are most welcome.

Thank you for your replies!

Dugg

Talk about the long term goals as a couple

It might be a good idea to talk about your long-term goals as a couple. For example, talk about how his behavior could affect his interest rate on big loans like mortgages or car loans.

Alice

Try the positive approach

Instead of explaining him the negatives of closing accounts, try to explain him the POSITIVES and possible benefits he’ll get over the long term.

He is opening new account because he thinks of the positive affects it has on his credit. You should try and focus of the POSITIVE effects of having trade lines with long payment history.

Another thing you can do is research the cards he opens, and see if any of them offer later benefits or rewards.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.