How long do paid dispute stay on my report?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Repair Forum How long do paid dispute stay on my report?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Marilyn

Hi, I had four debts that I paid and then disputed. TransUnion has removed them right away, but they still appear on my Experian & Equifax report. Any idea when will they be removed?

Tracy Winters
    Keymaster

Only after 7-1/2 years

Disputing the items won’t make them go away. In fact, you can expect them to reappear on your TransUnion’s report.

Your credit report contains your credit history. Paying of a debt doesn’t change your history. It only changes your current debt status. So paying a debt changes its status to “Paid” or “Settled” and updates the balance to zero, but it doesn’t erase the fact that you had a debt!

As long as the information is correct it cannot be legally removed from your report, and it continues to impact your score. With time its impact diminishes, and by the time derogatory age off your report they hardly have any effect at all.

Most items age off your report after 7-1/2 years. See this for a detailed list of derogatory items life cycle.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.