Immigrant’s personal credit histories

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum Immigrant’s personal credit histories

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Seline

Can personal credit histories be sent from one country to another?

I will be permanently moving to the US next month from the UK. In the UK I have a very good credit history. I would like to maintain my credit when I move to the US. I know that Experian operates in the UK, and that they have my credit history.

Is it possible to “Import” my credit history to the US, and is so how can I do it?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Rene

Re: Importing personal credit histories

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is NO. Personal credit histories usually apply to only one country. Even within the same credit card network, information is not shared between different countries.

So even if you were living in Canada and moving to the US, you would still have to start from scratch.

You should prepare yourself mentally for a life without (or with limited) credit. You will have to build your credit history from scratch.

B.T.W., some credit card companies (e.g. American Express) can transfer credit cards from one country to another. Look into it and get yourself one BEFORE moving. Not only it is the only credit card you can get after you move – it will also help you to start a new credit history.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.