My credit report has information that I do not recognize.

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Identity Theft Forum My credit report has information that I do not recognize.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Donald
    Participant

My credit report shows 3 different accounts with different balances that I do not recognize. All of the 3 accounts are with Capital One, all charged-off. I tried calling them in order to find out some more info, but spent more than 30 minutes being transferred from one department to another. There is also an address which I never lived at showing on my report. Which way can I get those accounts removed from my report?

royk123
    Keymaster

Hello Ryan,

Sorry to hear about it, but it certainly seems that your identity has been stolen.

Here is what I recommend you to do:

1. Freeze your credit!
    This will prevent the criminals that apparently has your SSN and potentially other harmful information from opening more accounts in your name. I would also recommend on Putting a Fraud Alert You can read more on both here and here.

2. File a police report!
    You must file a report because you’ll need it down the road to get the account off your credit report and also in case collectors contact you.

I can go on with dozen more thing to do, but it’s all here in this manual: What to do if you were victimized.

Vera21326
    Participant

Oh, I had the same situation some years ago. After that I was looking for some apps or services which can help me to protect my personal data. And u know, there are a lot of such services, but it’s really difficult to find a good one. I will paste here a link to useful article
    https://cooltechzone.com/research/services-promise-protect-but-actually-cant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.