My mother ruined my credit! How do I fix my credit report?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum My mother ruined my credit! How do I fix my credit report?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Will

I need advice on how to fix my credit report because of bad information my mother put on my name when I was younger.

I’m turning 19 now, and I’ve just found out that my mother had messed up my credit report about 5 years ago by putting bills on my name and then not paying them. I have 8 collections, charge offs and defaults on my credit report because of her!

I’m very furious, and haven’t decided what to do about it (with respect to my mother), but I whatever I do – I must fix my credit score first.

Thank you much for your time

George

Re: fix my credit report

What your mother did is terrible. Not only it’s against the law, it puts you in a very sad situation that involves either reporting her to the police or taking a huge financial hit.

Either way you loose.

Anyway, to answer your question, these are the steps you need to take:

1. First you must order copies of your credit reports from the 3 major credit bureaus (see this link for more information).
      These reports are free if you believe you’re a victim of financial crime (your case).
      Place a fraud alert on each of them.
    2. You must file a police report. Use the information from your credit reports as evidence.
      The report is required in order for the credit bureaus to delete the information from your credit reports.
    3. Send a dispute letter to all the 3 major credit bureaus, and attach the police report listing all the fraud accounts (See this link for more information).
      The credit bureaus must delete the fraudulent accounts from your credit reports within 30 days, and send you the corrected reports for free.

ID theft made by family members is the hardest to deal with because you get involved emotionally, especially if it’s your mother. Read this article about ID theft by people you know. It contains plenty of useful information and links to solve your problem.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.