My wife’s debt is showing on my credit report!?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum My wife’s debt is showing on my credit report!?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark

My credit report shows a credit card account that belongs to my wife. It’s not a joint account, nor am I an authorized user. Is that even possible, and how do I get it off my report?

Stacy Wall
    Keymaster

It can happen if you live in one of the community property states

If you’re living in one of the community property states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington & Wisconsin), your spouse’s debt may appear on your credit report.

In a community property states, most property acquired during the marriage (except for gifts or inheritances) – the community, or communio bonorum is owned jointly by both spouses and is divided upon divorce, annulment or death. Joint ownership is automatically presumed by law in the absence of specific evidence that would point to a contrary conclusion for a particular piece of property

In community property states, married persons are considered to own jointly their property, assets, and income and also debt. As a result, you and your spouse are considered equally responsible for debts incurred during your marriage, and therefore individual debts of one spouse may appear on the credit report of the other.

The Community Property States
    The Community Property States
    Freddie

While Alaska is not a community property state, it does allow couples to opt-in to a community property arrangement. Property is considered separated, unless both parties agree to make it community property through a community property agreement.

Some Indian jurisdictions allow property to be owned as community property, and so does the territory of Puerto Rico

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.