Refused PFD. Now what?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Repair Forum Refused PFD. Now what?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul

I have 3 accounts in collection. So I’ve sent off PFDs to all three, and got a yes from one and a no from another. The third didn’t respond. The agency that refused stated that the Fair Credit Reporting Act prohibits them from deleting the account, and all they can do is update it to show as paid in full. What now?

Stacy Wall
    Keymaster

Gray Area

Pay for delete agreements fall in the gray area. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires that information reported to your credit file not be knowingly inaccurate. It says nothing about information NOT REPORTED…

Their restriction against account deletion is an administrative matter on their part, and not a statutory prohibition. It is only, at best, pegged to their agreement with the credit bureaus.

What I’d suggest is to wait a few weeks and try again. Keep sending those PFD letters, but try to find a different address, preferably someone in management’s name (address the letter to that person directly). Don’t give up. Eventually someone may accept your terms.

Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.