Tenant credit history

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum Tenant credit history

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 9 months ago by Credit Report 101 Admin.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vicky

Are there reporting agencies OTHER THAN the 3 major credit bureaus that keep track of tenant credit history?

I was denied a rental application. The reason I was given is that I had an eviction on my report. I was never evicted and never received a summons or subpoena or anything like that. My credit reports from all three credit bureaus shows no record of an eviction.

I do have an inquiry from a company called SafeRent, which I assume is related to my rejection.

Thoughts anyone?

Isabella

Evictions and credit

I work as a landlord and evictions do not go on your credit but they are filled as a public record. You will need to obtain a copy of your report, try one of the free sites, to see what the record is.

Anytime someone files a unlawful detainer (usualy after failure to pay rent after a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit has been served) that is a public record and will go on your credit.

Even if you pay prior to filling, the unlawful detainer can still affect your credit file since it may show as a public record.

Additionally, if a judgement is filled where the court has awarded the landlord possession, that will show as a judgement in your public record – even if paid or settled.

In any case, it is very hard to have a public record filed in error. If you have co-signed or been a guarantor for someone and they didn’t pay the rent and were served a 3-day notice that could be the reason for the record on your credit.

It is imperative you find out which court and what is on your credit so that you can contest it if needed. I work with people who are affected by those they co-sign for and I hate being the bearer of bad news.

Tracy Winters
    Keymaster

Tenant credit history reporting agencies

You will not find a record of eviction on your credit report. However, your guess is right – there are many private credit reporting agencies that collect, manage and sell tenant credit history to landlords or property companies who want to protect themselves from tenants that don’t pay rent or utility bills on time.

Any private landlord or property company that wants to perform a tenant credit check (also called Tenant Screening services) needs to obtain your signed permission in order to run the check. Credit reporting agencies must require proof of this permission.

‘ SafeRent ‘ is actually CoreLogic SafeRent, which is a Credit Reporting Agency (CRA) that deals with renters data. Since they are classified as a CRA (like Equifax, Experian & TransUnion), you are eligible to receive free copy of your report from them. This is per the FACT ACT.

Further more – anyone the uses your consumer report information to deny your application– must inform you and provide you the name, address and phone number of the agency that provided the information (this is called adverse action notice).

You also have the right to dispute any wrong information that is on your report.
    If this eviction doesn’t belong to you than you should dispute it with the CRA. Start by asking the renting agency that declined your application for that information, and then dispute the item with them.

Credit Report 101 Admin

There’s actually a good post about tenant Credit History, Tenant screening services & Rental History Reports here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.