Trans union credit report error

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum Trans union credit report error

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rodrigo

How do I fix a trans union credit report error? While pulling my 3-in1-credit report this week I found out that while Equifax & Experian has my credit card paid off (i.e. account open with balance updated, which is the correct state), TransUnion has the exact same account with a totally different SS# than mine. It also has me listed as Deceased (which is clearly I am not, LOL).

Any recommendations are welcome

Wiley

Most likely a name mismatch

Most likely someone somewhere confused your record with the record of someone else with the same name who is dead – since you can’t have the same SS#, they would have overwritten the old SS#.

Trish

It is no big deal

Mistakes like this happen all the time, and can be corrected easily. Each bureau has information on its web site about how to contact them to correct errors, what information you need to provide, etc.

Christina

RE: Correcting a trans union credit report error

It sounds like TransUnion has merged your credit file with that of someone else’s who happens to be dead.

Clearing up merged credit can be a real pain. The best way to do this is to print a copy of your Trans Union credit report, then go item by item listing your full name, SS#, and DOB for the items that belong to you.

Highlight the items that do not belong to you. Mail this with a cover letter indicating that your credit file seems to be merged with the file of a deceased person with the other SS#. Include a photocopy of your driver’s license, SS card, and a current utility bill. They may ask you to provide a notarized letter, but since it costs money to get one I would start w/o it.

You can find the address and contact details here.

Do not use their online dispute form. You really want to create a paper trail in you case. Instead, send this letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, so you can document that TransUinion received your correspondence. Keep copies of your dispute letter and all enclosures.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.