What is an unopened copy of your credit report?

Credit Report & Score Guide Forums Credit Report Forum What is an unopened copy of your credit report?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joaquin

I’m applying for a job with the Sheriff’s Department, and they’ve asked my to show up to the interview with an unopened copy of my credit report. What do they mean by ” unopened copy of your credit report “? Can they legally ask me for my report? Isn’t it supposed to be confidential? What’s my credit management has to do with a Sheriff’s Department job anyway?

Thanks

P.S I do have a copy of my 3-in-I credit reports on my computer from 5 months ago. Will it suffice?

Tracy Winters
    Keymaster

It’s pretty common

An unopened copy of your credit report is exactly what it sounds – A copy of your credit report that has been MAILED to you and is still UNOPENED.

To answer all of your questions:
    It is becoming more and more common for employers to check the credit reports of job applicants. Especially with money management, financial business or law related jobs.

However, it’s not up to the potential employee to furnish a copy of his/hers credit report. Potential employers who wish to view your file need to pull it themselves from the credit bureaus. In fact, police departments pull credit reports all the time for investigations and have flat contracts to do so.

The copy that employers see is less informative than the one you’ve pulled, as it contains only the required information that can be used to job application.

Under the FACT ACT employers need your consent in writing in order for them to be able to access your information file at the credit bureaus.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.